Monday, March 24, 2008

On Creativity...

I have never really thought of myself as an Artist, or a Writer, or an Artisan though I have spent my entire life creating, writing (for myself, always) and making. Thinking and feeling the end products of my making. Is this what an artist is? I still don't know. Though I do know that there are people of my acquaintance who think, act, communicate and make less creatively than I do who call themselves 'creatives' or artists.

Perhaps this is a reflection of my own insecurities. I am never truly satisfied with the things I make. I always know where I could have done better, where my 'allah marks' are (the imperfections in the finished item - as only allah is perfect - imperfections that nobody else notices but which I know exist), the corners I can and have cut, that the leg-seam should have been pressed over 5 cm further down/up or that there is a crack in the paint where I didn't let the first coat dry long enough. The list goes on. Maybe all artists feel this way, I don't know.

All I know is that I am only ever truly at peace when I am making. Cooking, sewing, knitting, gardening, painting, gluing, whatever. And I am slowly coming around to the idea that this makes me 'creative'. That there is some primal urge within me to make 'somethings' from 'nothings'. Not for other people to admire but for my own sanity.

Perhaps this is the true measure of creativity. Not whether someone calls themselves creative but the carry through, the action that actually creates. By this measure I am creative.

It is time to call myself so.

I have slowly budding ideas, in time I shall flesh them out and in the meanwhile I will keep making.
posted by elaine, 2:00 pm

4 Comments:

I find that calling yourself an artist (within the limited number of opportunities one has occasion to do so) may feel pretentious at first. Then you get used to it. Then you realise people think artists are scum so there's not much point feeling daunted by the title. And yes, there's a lot of people out there who are way less creative than you calling themselves artists. The bad apples! Spoiling it for the rest of the class!

It's also never really be clear to me how to distinguish a craftsperson from an artist. I usually go back to my calligraphers and poets analogy. It pays to be a little of both.
commented by Blogger Fluffy, March 25, 2008 5:08 pm  
I think I like Artisan. It conveys a bit of both.

Did you know that way back when, the 'when' being when there were guilds and so forth, that the knitters guild was one of the most prestigious? And to earn the title of Master Knitter that you had to knit a pair of silk stockings for a nobleman using wire as the needles.
commented by Blogger elaine, March 25, 2008 8:53 pm  
Shit! I'd be swearing a bit. And the nobleman's legs might have to be the shape I happened to make the stockings rather than the other way around. Cakes is currently happy as a clam knitting a beanie and I'm doing gloves (sawn off mittens really) so if a crafternoon is in order I'm happy to host.

x
commented by Blogger Fluffy, March 26, 2008 11:05 pm  
Where do I order a scarf? I cant find the paypal link for merchadise.

As a writer I find it rather silly when somebody calls themself an artist and doesn't say what kind. Sometimes it makes sense if one sculpts and does performance art and oil painting but often it means that they don't have one focus.
commented by Blogger kranki, July 15, 2008 7:26 pm  

Add a comment