Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dinner

I know where the time has gone. I'm not going to comment on it. Instead, I'm going to talk about my dinner.


The pre-cheese serving:


And after parmesan:

I like parmesan.  A lot.  I like most cheese.  A life without cheese is not a life.  

This was my lazy Saturday night dinner.
  • 2-4 cloves of organic and/or Australian garlic, depending on size, minced.  Anyone who uses the bulk bleached Chinese $1 a bag garlic is silly as it is practically flavourless. 
  • one tin of diced Italian tomato
  • 4 anchovies
  • one small tin of tuna in springwater, drained.  I use sirena.
  • a large handful of beans fresh from the garden, tipped and cut into 4cm lengths
  • dried chilli to taste and about 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs (there was no basil)
Heat olive oil in a fry-pan, add garlic and chilli and herbs. I add the chilli and herbs at this stage as it flavours the oil. When the garlic is softened but not brown, add the tin of diced tomatoes. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and add the anchovies whole.  Let this cook away for a while as you smoke a cigarette and pour yourself a glass of wine (if not done already).

Put well-salted water on to boil.  When at a rolling boil, add your preferred pasta.  I used fetuccini as the other pasta in the cupboard was all gluten free.  Stir the tuna through the sauce.

About 5 minutes before the pasta will be ready, stir the beans through the sauce. This short cooking time means that the cellulose in the beans softens and the raw taste is cooked out but the beans stay crunchy and fresh tasting. season to taste. 

When the pasta is al dente, transfer it to the frying pan straight from the cooking pot.  I use tongs and stir it through the sauce as I go.

Serve with parmesan. Since moving back in with the folks, I have discovered the joy of the Microplane grater: light, fluffy parmesan straight to your pasta/risotto/other cheese requiring foods.

Nom.  

Labels: , ,

posted by elaine, 11:28 am

1 Comments:

That white garlic is NO GOOD FOR YOU. My mum gets the Ian Gawler newsletter (good for all things healthy/organic and non-cancery) and they say the pristine white garlic has been sprayed with something nasty, but banner here, but imported without problem.

Always go for the purple/pink garlic.

May I say how happy I am to see you blogging again??
commented by Blogger Melba, March 20, 2009 2:54 pm  

Add a comment