Thursday, April 30, 2009

Preparing for some quilting

I'm not quite sure where it has come from but I have developed a mad desire to make a patchwork quilt.

I KNOW!

Absurd, eh? But before you wrinkle up your noses, I'll let you know that I'm definitely not thinking about this


sort of thing. I am thinking of something fresh and clean and, well, modern.

I'm not really so fond of fussy sewing (you know, frills and flounces and fluff) so I want a design that is fairly simple. Whether that be deceptively or actually is not important. I quite like the feel of the quilting projects on The Purl Bee - bright colours contrasted by white.



What I don't like in this quilt is the 'stitch in the ditch' quilting i.e. the sewing of all the layers in the final steps are along the seam lines as contrasted to 'free-motion' quilting which, to my eye looks messy.



What I'd do is something like this from Wee Wonderfuls


See the nice zig-zaggy quilting?

The other thing that I found (how I love the internest!) is this wonderful quiltalong by Oh, Fransson! I reckon that will be useful to a quilting n00b.

Anyways. This isn't going to happen before I come back from Iran. So look forward to works-in-progress in June!

Labels: , ,

posted by elaine, 3:32 pm

3 Comments:

i bought a quilt in america, for the second baby i never had. it's now packed away for that first grandchild... it looks like your top picture, very traditional, but from memory it's pretty and baby colours etc.

i like the second-last pic.

hey did you know i bought a sewing machine? first step on the way to... doing something. my first project is going to be curtains for a couple of the rooms here.

my second project is planned to be summer frocks for me.

considering the girls are 12 and 13 now i figure i have at least 15 years, maybe less, to learn how to be a crafty granny. now i just have to find the time.
commented by Blogger Melba, May 06, 2009 9:56 am  
I agree! There is something so modern and clean with the contrast white. I think two many different colours over complicates it.

You have totally inspired me. I have had a secret desire for some time to quilt - I always spend hours in homeware shops fondling beautiful quilts in awe. But have always been to scared to start. I am going to try it this weekend :)
commented by Anonymous melbourne fashionista, June 12, 2009 4:57 pm  
I'm glad I waited to start this project!

I have come back from my trip with a super fantastic inspiration. I heart islamic mosaics.
commented by Blogger elaine, June 15, 2009 11:21 am  

Add a comment